Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Daughter(s)
If I an artist were,
Most lovingly I'd trace
Upon a canvas fair,
My lovely daughter's face.
With steady hand I'd draw the smile
That tends to make my day worthwhile.
***
Upon her head of shining hue,
For that is her pixie way,
I'd paint the hat she treasures,
All flowery and gay.
With loyal hand I'd splash with care
Some freckles 'cross a nose that's fair.
With careful brush, her eyes, it seems
I'd touch with happiness and dreams.
***
No tears must mar those twinkling eyes,
No hurt must chase her smile
She'll be my "little" girl like this
For such a short, short while.
So if she's spoiled a little bit,
It matters not I say,
For daughters are a precious joy
That must be sketched that way.
***
If I an artist were
Most lovingly I'd trace
Upon a canvas fair
My lovely daughter's face.
But since I lack a lot in art
I'll keep her picture in my heart.

4 comments:

7redz said...

Wow! so neat and so nice... so glad you are writing these down. Next I will show you how to print your blog! I just printed my first year and as I looked back was so thankful for all the comments you left there!

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful! ! However you didn't include info like who composed it and when. Clara

Jo said...

I did - when Jenny was a freshman in college, I think? Nick found it in some of my papers when he was going through the boxes. He found a couple of others as well.
Two phrases were a little different then. Upon her head of "copper" hue..... and ...No tears must mar those "soft blue" eyes. So this 30 years later, I adapted it for all the daughters.

Rose said...

great job.....I know you are so proud of your daughters, all of them...