Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Family Story..... Hydrangea "snowball bush"

These are very old flowers. I know they have been around since I was a child. We called them "snowball bush" It is my understanding they have been in the Americas since they were brought here in the 1700's from England. I think they were native to gardens of Japan for many hundreds of years before that. I also know the name "snowball bush" is applied to several plants, the Japanese, Chinese and European "snowball bushes", which are all Viburnum varieties. Today people are falling in love with them all over again. Lots of my neighbors have them in their gardens. Many remember hydrangeas from their childhood as well. If any of you read Nicki's blog you would have seen several pictures of the pastel colored blooms such as the one below. I borrowed 2 of her pictures. Hydrangea bloom
When we lived at 3312 Duncan there was a very large "snowball bush" in the front of the small white house. We were always instructed not to "pick" the flowers. They were to stay on the bush. One day the family was dressed up waiting for a taxi, these were the war years we had no car. Charles (had to be 3 or 4) and I (I had to be 6 or 7). We were in the front yard waiting for the cab. Charles was bored and he picked a snowball bloom. Our Dad was upset with him and said he had to hold the bloom on the stem until it grew back. Charles tried and tried to balance that bloom on the bush. He was afraid if he did not get the bloom back on the bush he would not get to go in the taxi. I began to feel sorry for him and I tried to help. We really did not hear the "rest of the story" until years later. Our Dad was inside peeking at us and enjoying our frustrated efforts. He was about to come out and rescue us when the taxi came. I don't believe Charles ever picked another flower. Note: to view news and pictures of my Hickox Grandkids click on http://7redzinmotion.blogspot.com/

No comments: